Compare amoxapine vs. desipramine
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
While Asendin (amoxapine) can treat depression, you have to take it several times a day and it can make you feel sleepy.
Norpramin (desipramine) is not a first choice for treating depression because of its effects on the heart, but it can be good if other medicines haven't worked.
- Asendin (amoxapine) can be used to treat more severe forms of depression.
- Compared to similar medicines, Asendin (amoxapine) improves the mood in depression more quickly.
- Asendin (amoxapine) is available as generic.
- Norpramin (desipramine) is available in generic and in many different strengths, so the dose can be more customized.
- Norpramin (desipramine) has fewer side effects than similar tricyclic antidepressants.
- Asendin (amoxapine) is not a first choice medicine for depression because of side effects.
- In some people, Asendin (amoxapine) can stop working as early as 2-3 months after you start taking it.
- Not recommended in older people, children under 16, or people who've had a history of seizures.
- Norpramin (desipramine) isn't recommended if you or your family has heart disease, seizures, or glaucoma.
- Norpramin (desipramine) isn't a first choice for depression because it has more side effects than other antidepressants.
- In some people, Norpramin (desipramine) can make you sleepy. In other people, Norpramin (desipramine) can keep you awake.
- If you have diabetes, Norpramin (desipramine) can make your blood sugar go up.
- Not recommended in children under 12 years of age.
- Drowsiness or fatigue14%
- Dry mouth14%
- Vision changes7%
- Increased risk of suicide
People under age 24
- Vision changes
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Slowed breathing
Taking opioids for pain relief or medicines for anxiety
- Anticholinergic effects/Dehydration
Over age 65
- Higher risk of suicide
People under age 24
- Serotonin syndrome
...and 5 more risk factors
- Changes to the heartbeat
History of heart disease
- Higher risk for seizures
History of seizures
...and 1 more risk factors