Compare Arixtra vs. Eliquis
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Arixtra (fondaparinux) is effective at treating clots, but it can increase your risk of bleeding.
Eliquis (apixaban) is an effective way to prevent blood clots from forming in your veins, but you have to take it twice a day, and your doctor might have to change the dose a lot.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) is effective at treating blood clots in the extremeties and those that have travelled to the lungs.
- A generic form is available.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) is a safe option for use in patients who have experienced a rare, life-threatening reaction to another anticoagulant, heparin.
- Eliquis (apixaban) is very effective in reducing the risk of stroke in people with atrial fibrilation or other clotting disorders.
- You don't need to have regular blood tests on Eliquis (apixaban), and you don't have to regulate your diet like other blood thinners.
- If you've had clots in your legs or lungs before, Eliquis (apixaban) can lower the risk of these forming again.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) should be used with caution in patients with kidney problems, as this can lead to an accumulation of the medication and increase the risk of bleeding.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) can cause a drop in platelet count, which can increase your risk of bleeding.
- People who have any type of spinal or epidural procedure are more likely to have bleeding problems around the spine when taking Arixtra (fondaparinux).
- Periodic blood tests and monitoring of your kidneys is important.
- You have to inject yourself everyday with this medication.
- The anti blood-clotting effects of Arixtra (fondaparinux) may remain for up to 4 days after stopping this medication in normal patients, and there is no current antidote.
- You can bruise easier and if you cut yourself, it'll take longer to stop the bleeding. Always look for signs of internal bleeding, such as dark urine or bloody stools.
- Can't be used if you have artificial heart valves.
- Never stop taking Eliquis (apixaban) without talking to your doctor first.
- Eliquis (apixaban) isn't available as a generic, so it can be expensive.
- If you've taken too much Eliquis (apixaban) and you're bleeding, it can be harder to treat compared to other blood thinners.
- Treatment of blood clots
- Atrial fibrillation
- Stroke and blood clot prevention
- Blood clot treatment
- Blood clots2%
- Major bleed2%
- Spinal/epidural blood clots
Indwelling epidural catheters
...and 3 more risk factors
Existing condition that increases risk of bleeding
...and 5 more risk factors
- Kidney problems
- Allergic reactions
- Increased risk of stroke or blood clots from early discontinuation
Stopping Eliquis (apixaban) prematurely
- Paralysis in the spine
Spinal puncture (spinal tap)
...and 3 more risk factors
- Increased risk of stroke or bleeding
Artificial heart valve
- Increased side effects in kidney or liver conditions
Current kidney problems
...and 1 more risk factors