Compare Arixtra vs. Heparin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Arixtra (fondaparinux) is effective at treating clots, but it can increase your risk of bleeding.
Heparin is a good anticoagulant that prevents blood clots. However, you'll need to get frequent blood tests to make sure it's working well.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) is effective at treating blood clots in the extremeties and those that have travelled to the lungs.
- A generic form is available.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) is a safe option for use in patients who have experienced a rare, life-threatening reaction to another anticoagulant, heparin.
- Safe to use in pregnancy and if you're breast feeding.
- There are other medications that can help stop unexpected bleeding while taking Heparin.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Usually used in the hospital, but can be given at home too.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) should be used with caution in patients with kidney problems, as this can lead to an accumulation of the medication and increase the risk of bleeding.
- Arixtra (fondaparinux) can cause a drop in platelet count, which can increase your risk of bleeding.
- People who have any type of spinal or epidural procedure are more likely to have bleeding problems around the spine when taking Arixtra (fondaparinux).
- Periodic blood tests and monitoring of your kidneys is important.
- You have to inject yourself everyday with this medication.
- The anti blood-clotting effects of Arixtra (fondaparinux) may remain for up to 4 days after stopping this medication in normal patients, and there is no current antidote.
- You'll need to get labs/blood draws done on a regular basis to make sure the drug is working and to make sure you don't get unexpected side effects.
- You can be at higher risk for bleeding or clotting while taking Heparin compared to other anticoagulants.
- Blood clots2%
- Spinal/epidural blood clots
Indwelling epidural catheters
...and 3 more risk factors
Existing condition that increases risk of bleeding
...and 5 more risk factors
- Kidney problems
- Allergic reactions
- Unusual bleeding
History of bleeding problems
...and 2 more risk factors
- Clotting problems