Compare Armour Thyroid vs. Thyrolar
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) can be used to treat low thyroid hormone for some people, but it's not the first-choice treatment for this condition.
- Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) is derived from an animal source (pigs), so it's considered natural.
- Available in cheaper generic form.
- Even though Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) isn't a first choice recommendation, some people feel better on this medicine compared to other thyroid hormone medications.
- Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) is not recommended by doctors and the American Thyroid Association because of the inconsistent amounts of thyroid hormone in each tablet and the lack of research studies.
- FDA does not approve Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated); they have not found this medicine to be safe and effective.
- Not recommended for elderly people.
- Overdose of thyroid hormone
- Taking other drugs for weight loss
- Changes in blood sugar
- Changes in blood clotting
- Taking blood thinners
- Risk of contamination
- Increased risk of heart problems