Compare Atenolol vs. Cafergot
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Tenormin (atenolol) is good for controlling chest pain and treating a heart attack. It has fewer side effects than other beta blockers. You need to take it on an empty stomach and you can't skip doses.
Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can treat migraines, but you're more likely to have side effects.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart attack recovery.
- At lower doses, Tenormin (atenolol) has fewer side effects than other beta blockers because it targets the heart and not other parts of the body.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) works better than other medicines if your migraines usually last more than 2 days or if you have more frequent migraines.
- You need to take Tenormin (atenolol) on an empty stomach.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but it might not go away for others.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure unless you have heart disease. However, your doctor could add it to other medicines you're already if your blood pressure is still too high.
- You can't miss or skip doses. If you stop Tenormin (atenolol) suddenly, it can cause your blood pressure to go up really quickly, raising your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Tenormin (atenolol) can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can't stop migraines from happening. They can only treat them.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can only be used for migraines. It doesn't work for other types of headaches.
- Smoking or using products that contain nicotine can make Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) less effective.
Have you used Tenormin (atenolol)?Leave a review
- Cold arms and legs12%
- Shortness of breath6%
- Low blood pressure on movement changes4%
- Slower heartbeat3%
- Leg Pain3%
- Heart attack or increased chest pain
Suddenly stopping Tenormin (atenolol)
- Slowing heart rate
Taking calcium channel blockers
- Increased risks during surgery
Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Increased risk of rebound high blood pressure
- Heart and circulation problems
Overdosing Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine)
...and 1 more risk factors
- Dependency and withdrawal
Taking Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) regularly for months