Compare Atenolol vs. Topamax
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Tenormin (atenolol) is good for controlling chest pain and treating a heart attack. It has fewer side effects than other beta blockers. You need to take it on an empty stomach and you can't skip doses.
Qudexy Xr (Topiramate) is useful for preventing seizures and migraines, and doesn't require blood tests while you're on it.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart attack recovery.
- At lower doses, Tenormin (atenolol) has fewer side effects than other beta blockers because it targets the heart and not other parts of the body.
- Used on its own or with other antiepileptic medicines to lower the frequency of seizures, especially for people with tonic-clonic or partial seizures, or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome.
- Helpful in preventing frequent migraine headaches.
- Doesn't need routine blood tests.
- You need to take Tenormin (atenolol) on an empty stomach.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but it might not go away for others.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure unless you have heart disease. However, your doctor could add it to other medicines you're already if your blood pressure is still too high.
- You can't miss or skip doses. If you stop Tenormin (atenolol) suddenly, it can cause your blood pressure to go up really quickly, raising your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Tenormin (atenolol) can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- Can cause sleepiness, speech problems, tingling sensations, and weight loss.
- A few people will get kidney stones.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Extended release capsule
Have you used Tenormin (atenolol)?Leave a review
- Cold arms and legs12%
- Shortness of breath6%
- Low blood pressure on movement changes4%
- Slower heartbeat3%
- Leg Pain3%
- Speech disorders/Related speech problems13%
- Psychomotor slowing13%
- Vision abnormal13%
- Difficulty with memory12%
- Heart attack or increased chest pain
Suddenly stopping Tenormin (atenolol)
- Slowing heart rate
Taking calcium channel blockers
- Increased risks during surgery
Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Increased risk of rebound high blood pressure
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
History of depression
- Uncontrolled body temperature
- Mental changes due to high ammonia
History of metabolic disorders
...and 1 more risk factors
- Kidney stones
...and 2 more risk factors
- Withdrawal seizures
Stopping Qudexy Xr (Topiramate) suddenly