Compare Augmentin vs. Penicillin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) is first-choice antibiotic for most common types of infections. However, it may not work against more serious or uncommon types of infections.
Penicillin Vk (Penicillin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. You may need to use another form of birth control along with your birth control pills. It's also best taken on an empty stomach but it can cause an upset stomach.
- Available as generic product.
- Available in tablet, capsule, and liquid forms.
- Used to treat most common types of bacterial infections.
- Side effects are generally not too bad compared to other antibiotics.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Many bacteria have developed resistance to this antibiotic.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- Birth control pills may not work as well to prevent pregnancy when taking this medication.
- Many bacteria have developed resistance. Your doctor may run tests to see if Penicillin will work on your infection.
- Can make birth control pills less effective.
- Best taken on an empty stomach, but can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.
- Chewable tablet
- Extended release
Have you used Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate)?Leave a review
- Vaginal yeast infection3%
- Serious allergic reaction
- History of penicillin allergy
- History of multiple allergies
- Liver damage
- Existing liver problems
- Taking other medicines that harm the liver
- Taking Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate) for a long time
- Older age
- Taking immunosuppressant medicines
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills
- Allergic reactions
- Prior severe allergic reaction to Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)