Compare Avodart vs. Rapaflo
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Avodart (dutasteride) reduces prostate size and relieves symptoms, but can lower sex drive when first starting on it.
- Avodart (dutasteride) improves prostate symptoms to reduce the need for prostate-related surgery.
- Most side effects go away after your body gets used to Avodart (dutasteride).
- Avodart (dutasteride) can be used alone or in combination with Flomax (tamsulosin) to further improve symptoms.
- Pregnant women or women of childbearing age should avoid exposure to Avodart (dutasteride) from sexual intercourse (use a condom) and blood transfusion.
- You need to take Avodart (dutasteride) for at least 6 months before your prostate gets small enough for symptoms to improve.
- Avodart (dutasteride) lowers Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) levels and can hide symptoms of prostate cancer.
- Avodart (dutasteride) may affect sperm in men and their ability to father a child.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Erectile dysfunction5%
- Decreased libido3%
- Prostate cancer
Men age 55 or older
- Pregnancy risk and fetal harm
Women of childbearing age
...and 1 more risk factors
- Sexual problems
Men who are older
...and 2 more risk factors
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels
Avodart (dutasteride) use for 3 months or longer