Compare Buspar vs. Paxil
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Buspar (Buspirone) is effective for treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and less effective for short-term use.
Paxil (paroxetine) is effective for treating depression and anxiety, but causes more unwanted side-effects than other medicines that work like it.
- Buspar (Buspirone) works very well to control the symptoms of generalized anxiety syndrome (GAD).
- Buspar (Buspirone) doesn't cause physical dependence or withdrawal symptoms.
- Buspar (Buspirone) is only available as a generic, so the price can be pretty cheap.
- Available in a cheaper, generic form.
- Is convenient and can take once a day.
- Buspar (Buspirone) can take as long as four weeks to become fully effective.
- Not as effective for short-term anxiety conditions or panic disorders.
- Most people find that it loses effectiveness over long periods of time.
- Can cause drowsiness or dizziness when you start taking Buspar (Buspirone). Be extremely careful of activities that require mental alertness, such as driving.
- More likely to decrease your sexual appetite and delay or prevent ejaculation than other antidepressants.
- Like most antidepressants, Paxil (paroxetine) has a high risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior when used in children and adolescents.
- May not be appropriate for you if you are elderly or suffer from dementia.
- Extended release pill
Have you used Buspar (Buspirone)?Leave a review
- Any side effect10%
- Central nervous system disturbances3%
- Abnormal ejaculation28%
- Difficulty sleeping21%
- Decreased sexual appetite12%
- Dry mouth9%
- Elevated blood pressure
Taking with MAOIs
...and 1 more risk factors
- Withdrawal reactions
Taking with or converting from benzodiazepine medicines
- Abnormal and involuntary muscle movements
Duration of treatment
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Age 24 years or younger
- High levels of serotonin (Serotonin Syndrome)
Using other medications that affect serotonin levels
Stopping Paxil (paroxetine) suddenly
- Increased bleeding risk
Taking other blood-thinning drugs