Compare Cafergot vs. Propranolol
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can treat migraines, but you're more likely to have side effects.
Inderal (Propranolol) is good for treating many heart problems and other problems in the body, but it has more side effects than other beta blockers. You can't miss doses.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) works better than other medicines if your migraines usually last more than 2 days or if you have more frequent migraines.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure, heart attack, heart valve disorders, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Also treats and prevents many non-heart problems, such as tremors, anxiety, migraines, and liver disease symptoms.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can't stop migraines from happening. They can only treat them.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can only be used for migraines. It doesn't work for other types of headaches.
- Smoking or using products that contain nicotine can make Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) less effective.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Has more side effects than some beta blockers because it crosses into the brain and central nervous system.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Propranolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Vascular headache
- Extended release
- Heart and circulation problems
Overdosing Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine)
...and 1 more risk factors
- Dependency and withdrawal
Taking Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) regularly for months
- Increased chest pain or risk of heart attack
Suddenly stopping Inderal (Propranolol)
- Increased risks during surgery
Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Low blood pressure
Concurrent use of non-dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, digoxin or clonidine