Compare Cafergot vs. Tenex
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can treat migraines, but you're more likely to have side effects.
Tenex (Guanfacine) can be used to treat both blood pressure and ADHD, but it's not recommended as a first-line treatment for either problem.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) works better than other medicines if your migraines usually last more than 2 days or if you have more frequent migraines.
- The same medication treats two different things, high blood pressure and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- It's not a "controlled medication".
- Used to control ADHD when stimulant medications haven't worked or can't be used due to other medical problems.
- Available as a generic medication, so it should be more affordable than other options.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can't stop migraines from happening. They can only treat them.
- Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) can only be used for migraines. It doesn't work for other types of headaches.
- Smoking or using products that contain nicotine can make Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) less effective.
- Doesn't control ADHD as well as stimulants do, so it's used as a second-line medication.
- Not a preferred drug to control blood pressure.
- Can't be stopped suddenly, especially for blood pressure, since the blood pressure can dramatically increase.
- Extended release
- Dry Mouth10%
- Any side effect5%
- Heart and circulation problems
Overdosing Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine)
...and 1 more risk factors
- Dependency and withdrawal
Taking Cafergot (ergotamine / caffeine) regularly for months
Taking other medications that cause sedation or sleepiness
- Rebound high blood pressure
Stopping Tenex (Guanfacine) suddenly to treat high blood pressure