Compare Coumadin vs. Eliquis
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Coumadin (warfarin) is a cheap and effective medicine that prevents new blood clots. It requires regular blood tests and you'll need to eat, exercise, and take your medicines consistently.
Eliquis (apixaban) is an effective way to prevent blood clots from forming in your veins, but you have to take it twice a day, and your doctor might have to change the dose a lot.
- Coumadin (warfarin) is available as a generic, so it should be less expensive than the brand version.
- In case you start bleeding too much while using Coumadin (warfarin), your doctor can give you another drug that reverses Coumadin (warfarin)'s effects.
- Coumadin (warfarin) comes in numerous strengths.
- Coumadin (warfarin) has been around for a long time and is one of the most commonly used 'blood thinner' medicines.
- Eliquis (apixaban) is very effective in reducing the risk of stroke in people with atrial fibrilation or other clotting disorders.
- You don't need to have regular blood tests on Eliquis (apixaban), and you don't have to regulate your diet like other blood thinners.
- If you've had clots in your legs or lungs before, Eliquis (apixaban) can lower the risk of these forming again.
- Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Requires regular blood work, such as an INR, to make sure Coumadin (warfarin) is working correctly.
- Your daily dose of Coumadin (warfarin) can change if you change your diet, exercise patterns, or use of alcohol.
- A lot of other drugs and supplements interact with Coumadin (warfarin), so you'll need to check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medicines.
- You can bruise easier and if you cut yourself, it'll take longer to stop the bleeding. Always look for signs of internal bleeding, such as dark urine or bloody stools.
- Can't be used if you have artificial heart valves.
- Never stop taking Eliquis (apixaban) without talking to your doctor first.
- Eliquis (apixaban) isn't available as a generic, so it can be expensive.
- If you've taken too much Eliquis (apixaban) and you're bleeding, it can be harder to treat compared to other blood thinners.
- Atrial fibrillation
- Stroke and blood clot prevention
- Blood clot treatment
Have you used Coumadin (warfarin)?Leave a review
- Major bleed2%
- Life threatening bleeding
Coumadin (warfarin) dose too high
...and 8 more risk factors
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age
- Increased risk of stroke or blood clots from early discontinuation
Stopping Eliquis (apixaban) prematurely
- Paralysis in the spine
Spinal puncture (spinal tap)
...and 3 more risk factors
- Increased risk of stroke or bleeding
Artificial heart valve
- Increased side effects in kidney or liver conditions
Current kidney problems
...and 1 more risk factors