|Coming soon.||Orencia (Abatacept) decreases inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. Orencia (Abatacept) slows the progress of rheumatoid arthritis, but can also have serious side effects.|
|How it works|
|Coming soon.||Orencia (Abatacept) is called a DMARD, a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug. It prevents your body from activating cells that cause inflammation.|
|Type of medication|
› Biological response modifierPrescription only
|Used for (click to learn more)|
- › Acute lymphoid leukemia Acute myeloid leukemia Breast cancer Burkitt's lymphoma Chronic lymphoid leukemia Chronic myeloid leukemia Hodgkin's disease
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
|Reviews & ratings|
We haven’t found good data for cyclophosphamide side effects.FDA side effect reports for cyclophosphamide »
|More Orencia side effects »|
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
Detailed Orencia (Abatacept) risks & warnings »
- › Taking immunosuppressive medications
- › History of repeat infections
- › Adults with rheumatoid arthritis taking TNF inhibitors
DFDA pregnancy category (Weigh risks vs. benefits)
Research studies with real people found harmful effects on unborn babies, but the benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.See the FDA package insert
CFDA pregnancy category (Weigh risks vs. benefits)
Research studies with animals found harmful effects on unborn babies. It hasn’t been properly studied in humans. The benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.See the FDA package insert
|No specific alcohol-related info.||No specific alcohol-related info.|
|No specific food-related info.||No specific food-related info.|
|Kidneys and liver|
|No specific kidneys and liver-related info.||No specific kidneys and liver-related info.|
|No specific sex-related info.||No specific sex-related info.|
|No specific sleep-related info.||No specific sleep-related info.|
|No specific weight-related info.||No specific weight-related info.|
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Helps minimize joint damage, lowers symptoms, and prevents future problems.
- › In a 2-year study that used IV Orencia (Abatacept) with methotrexate, more than half of the people had remission and the majority felt significantly better.
- › People taking [name-common] had no new joint damage after two years.
- › Taking Orencia (Abatacept) allows RA patients to use less prednisone, a steroid that has many side effects.
- › Orencia (Abatacept) can be used without other medications for RA.
|Downsides and risks|
- › You'll have to get your blood tested regularly while taking Orencia (Abatacept).
- › You'll probably have to take other medications to help treat your RA symptoms.
- › Orencia (Abatacept) is pretty expensive.
- › The IV infusion form of Orencia (Abatacept) can cause a reaction, which ranges from a slight itching or warm feeling to more serious complications like low blood pressure and chest pain.
- › Because RA is chronic disease, you'll likely take Orencia (Abatacept) for many years.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Keep the Orencia (Abatacept) self-injection refrigerated, but let it rest at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before using it.
- › Each time you use Orencia (Abatacept), be sure to rotate the sites you chose to inject it in. Don't inject it where your skin is tender, bruised, red, or scaly.
- › If you decide to go with the IV version of Orencia (Abatacept), you will only need to get infusions once a month. The self-injections however need to be taken once a week.
- › If you get the IV infusion, stay hydrated, try to relax, and ask your nurse to apply dry heat (instant warm packs) to your arm to help find your good veins.
|More about cyclophosphamideSide effectsFDA package insert||More about OrenciaSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert|