|Stabilizes your mood. Norpramin (desipramine) is not a first choice for treating depression because of its effects on the heart, but it can be good if other medicines haven't worked.||Improves mood and helps you sleep. Oleptro (Trazodone) works well as a sleep aid, but has more side effects when used at higher doses for treating depression.|
|Reviews & ratings|
Not enough reviews for this treatment. Help someone out, leave a review!
Reviews for Oleptro
-73% worse vs. desipramine
-49% worse vs. desipramine
+24% better vs. desipramine
The desipramine FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.More about desipramine side effects »
|More Oleptro side effects »|
|How it works|
|Norpramin (desipramine) is a tricyclic antidepressant. It increases the amount of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain, two chemicals that regulate mood.||Oleptro (Trazodone) is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SRI) antidepressant. It increases serotonin activity in the brain, which regulates mood.|
|Type of medication|
|Prescription only||Prescription only|
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
Detailed Norpramin (desipramine) risks & warnings »
- › People under age 24
- › Tricyclic antidepressants
- › Fentanyl
- › Tramadol
- › Buspirone
Detailed Oleptro (trazodone) risks & warnings »
- › Age 24 years or younger
- › History of seizures
- › Alcoholism
- › Eating disorder
- › Higher dose
The FDA hasn’t classified this medicine’s effects on unborn babies. Talk with your doctor about this medicine if you’re pregnant or planning on it.
Research studies with animals found harmful effects on unborn babies. It hasn’t been properly studied in humans. The benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Norpramin (desipramine) is available in generic and in many different strengths, so the dose can be more customized.
- › Norpramin (desipramine) has fewer side effects than similar tricyclic antidepressants.
- › Commonly used in lower doses to help treat sleep problems (insomnia).
- › Safer sleep medication than others (benzodiazepines or Unisom) for people age 65 and older.
- › Fewer sexual side effects than many other antidepressants.
- › Has been used for sleep and depression for a long time. There's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- › Comes as a generic medication and is cheaper than many other sleep aides.
- › Six out of ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Norpramin (desipramine) isn't recommended if you or your family has heart disease, seizures, or glaucoma.
- › Norpramin (desipramine) isn't a first choice for depression because it has more side effects than other antidepressants.
- › In some people, Norpramin (desipramine) can make you sleepy. In other people, Norpramin (desipramine) can keep you awake.
- › If you have diabetes, Norpramin (desipramine) can make your blood sugar go up.
- › Not recommended in children under 12 years of age.
- › Not as effective as other medications for depression.
- › More sedating than other antidepressants.
- › Causes more side effects when used at higher doses for depression. Includes sleepiness, dizziness, upset stomach, and irregular heartbeat.
- › Like most antidepressants, can cause higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people age 24 and younger.
- › The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how Norpramin (desipramine) affects you since it can make you feel sleepy.
- › Talk to your doctor right away if your mood suddenly darkens and you want to hurt yourself while taking Norpramin (desipramine).
- › If you're being switched to Norpramin (desipramine) from monoamine oxidase inhibitors, you'll need to wait 2 weeks before you can start it.
- › Don't stop taking Norpramin (desipramine) suddenly without talking to your doctor first.
- › Makes you sleepy. Take at bedtime.
- › Can cause temporary dry mouth and upset stomach.
- › Seek medical attention for unwanted, persistent erection.
- › Tell your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or unusual thoughts.
|More about desipramineSide effectsAlternativesFDA package insert||More about OleptroSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert|