Compare Differen vs. Minocycline
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Solodyn (Minocycline) is an effective way to treat certain skin infections, acne, and rosacea, but you'll need to use barrier methods of birth control since it can make birth control pills less effective and cause birth defects.
- Clinical studies show it's effective against MRSA, a common skin infection, and it's commonly used to treat acne and rosacea.
- Available as a generic, so it should be reasonably priced.
- Solodyn (Minocycline) is less likely to cause sunburn than other tetracycline antibiotics.
- Bacteria are less likely to become resistant to Solodyn (Minocycline) than other tetracycline antibiotics.
- It can make birth control pills less effective, so people should use barrier methods of birth control like condoms or diaphragms while on Solodyn (Minocycline).
- Can stain your teeth, mouth, and gums if you're using the tablets, or your skin if you're using the topical version, but this is temporary.
- Acne vulgaris
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Extended release
- Extended release capsule
- Changes in teeth
Age 8 years or younger
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills
Using oral birth control pills
- Diarrhea from a superinfection (an infection that happens after, or in addition to, an earlier infection)
Long antibiotic treatment period
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age