Compare Doxepin vs. Vivactil
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Zonalon (Doxepin) works well treating itchy skin, but could make you sleepy.
Vivactil (protriptyline) is part of the first choice of medicines for depression, but it can cause problems with your heartbeat and change your sex drive.
- In clinical trials, Zonalon (Doxepin) was found to be the most effective cream for treating itchy skin.
- You can use Zonalon (Doxepin) for up to 8 days at a time.
- Vivactil (protriptyline) is part of the first choice medicines for treating depression.
- Compared to similar medicines, Vivactil (protriptyline) is less likely to make you feel sleepy.
- Available in generic.
- You need a prescription for Zonalon (Doxepin).
- It isn't available as a generic, so it could be kind of pricey.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can make you sleepy.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can interact with other medications, vitamins, or alternative treatments.
- Vivactil (protriptyline) can lower your sex drive more than some other similar medicines.
- Because Vivactil (protriptyline) can cause dizziness, people age 65 and older need to take precautions when taking Vivactil (protriptyline).
- Vivactil (protriptyline) can worsen heart conditions. If you have a history of heart problems, you may need to have regular testing for your heart.
- Skin intching (moderate)
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Higher risk of suicide
Under age 24
- Heart problems
History of heart disease
...and 1 more risk factors
- Higher risk of seizures
History of seizures
- Changes in blood pressure
High blood pressure