Compare doxycycline vs. Minocycline
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Vibramycin (doxycycline) is good for treating many bacterial infections, but can increase your skin's sensitivity to sunlight and make you more likely to get a sunburn or rash.
Solodyn (Minocycline) is an effective way to treat certain skin infections, acne, and rosacea, but you'll need to use barrier methods of birth control since it can make birth control pills less effective and cause birth defects.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) is a good alternative for some types of bacterial infections for people who are allergic to penicillin.
- Available in generic.
- Available as a liquid for those who have trouble swallowing.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) is safe for people age 65 or older and those who have kidney problems.
- Clinical studies show it's effective against MRSA, a common skin infection, and it's commonly used to treat acne and rosacea.
- Available as a generic, so it should be reasonably priced.
- Solodyn (Minocycline) is less likely to cause sunburn than other tetracycline antibiotics.
- Bacteria are less likely to become resistant to Solodyn (Minocycline) than other tetracycline antibiotics.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) can make some birth control less effective, so you may have to use barrier methods (like condoms) while on it.
- Vitamins, iron supplements, or antacids can't be taken at the same time as Vibramycin (doxycycline).
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) can cause severe diarrhea that is usually watery and bloody, as late as up to 2 months after finishing the medicine.
- It can make birth control pills less effective, so people should use barrier methods of birth control like condoms or diaphragms while on Solodyn (Minocycline).
- Can stain your teeth, mouth, and gums if you're using the tablets, or your skin if you're using the topical version, but this is temporary.
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infection
- Respiratory tract infection
- Postexposure prevention for anthrax inhalation
- Acinetobacter infection
- Bartonella infection
- Clostridial infection
- Malaria prevention
- Q fever
- Relapsing fever
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Spotted fevers
- Tularemia postexposure
- Typhus group rickettsial disease
- Vincent's infection
- Typhoid fever
- Granuloma inguinale
- Campylobacter infection
- Delayed release pill
- Extended release
- Extended release capsule
Have you used Vibramycin (doxycycline)?Leave a review
- Color changes in teeth of young children and unborn babies
Age 8 or younger
...and 2 more risk factors
- Severe diarrhea
Using Vibramycin (doxycycline) for a long period of time
- Sunburn or rash
Being in the sun for a long period of time
...and 1 more risk factors
- Harm to fetus (unborn baby)
Women who can potentially or want to become pregnant
...and 1 more risk factors
- Changes in teeth
Age 8 years or younger
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills
Using oral birth control pills
- Diarrhea from a superinfection (an infection that happens after, or in addition to, an earlier infection)
Long antibiotic treatment period
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age