|Coming soon.||Improves heart pumping. Digoxin is a good backup for treating heart failure symptoms, but it doesn't, by itself, lower your risk of death.|
|How it works|
|Coming soon.||Digoxin helps your heart work more efficiently. It makes your heart pump slower and stronger, which helps it get more blood and oxygen out to your body and organs.|
|Type of medication|
› InotropePrescription only
|Used for (click to learn more)|
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
|Reviews & ratings|
Reviews for Lanoxin (Digoxin)
+64% vs. Edecrin (Ethacrynic Acid)
+43% vs. Edecrin (Ethacrynic Acid)
-31% vs. Edecrin (Ethacrynic Acid)
We haven’t found good data for Edecrin side effects.FDA side effect reports for Edecrin »
|More Digoxin side effects »|
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
- › History of heart problems
- › Drug interactions
- › Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
- › Low body weight, advanced age, impaired renal function, electrolyte imbalances
Detailed Lanoxin (Digoxin) risks & warnings »
- › Overactive or underactive thyroid
BFDA pregnancy category (Probably safe)
Research studies with animals haven’t found a risk to unborn babies, but it hasn’t been properly studied in humans.See the FDA package insert
CFDA pregnancy category (Weigh risks vs. benefits)
Research studies with animals found harmful effects on unborn babies. It hasn’t been properly studied in humans. The benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.See the FDA package insert
|No specific alcohol-related info.||No specific alcohol-related info.|
|No specific food-related info.||No specific food-related info.|
|Kidneys and liver|
|No specific kidneys and liver-related info.||No specific kidneys and liver-related info.|
|No specific sex-related info.||No specific sex-related info.|
|No specific sleep-related info.||No specific sleep-related info.|
|No specific weight-related info.||No specific weight-related info.|
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Used for some abnormal heart rhythms, and for heart failure that can't be controlled by other medications.
- › Relieves shortness of breath, and makes it easier to be active without having symptoms.
- › In studies, Digoxin lowered the risk of having to be admitted to the hospital for worsening heart failure.
|Downsides and risks|
- › For heart failure, relieves symptoms, but does not lower the risk of death. That's why it's usually used together with other heart failure medicines that do lower the risk of death.
- › Requires blood tests, especially during the first few weeks of treatment.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Take it at the same time every day.
- › Drink plenty of water while taking this medicine.
- › Requires routine blood tests to make sure you have the right amount of Digoxin in your body.
- › Tell your doctor about other medicines you're taking to avoid drug interactions.
|More about EdecrinSide effectsFDA package insert||More about DigoxinSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert|