Compare Elavil vs. Horizant
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Elavil (Amitriptyline) is an older antidepressant that's sometimes used to treat pain and sleep problems, but it can have more side effects than similar medications.
Horizant (Gabapentin Enacarbil) is a good way to treat pain since it can be used with other pain medications and it's not addictive. You'll need to stop drinking alcohol and it can be somewhat expensive.
- Low doses work well to treat certain kinds of chronic pain. It can take 2 weeks to feel the full effects of the medication.
- Low doses of Elavil (Amitriptyline) start working in 45 minutes to help you sleep better.
- Six out of every ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
- Not habit-forming or addictive.
- Can be used with other pain medications.
- Only has to be taken once or twice a day.
- When used for depression, Elavil (Amitriptyline) causes more side effects and has a higher risk of overdose than other antidepressants. It's usually used when other medications haven't worked.
- It's more likely to cause sleepiness, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, and weight gain (1 to 5 pounds) than other antidepressants.
- People age 65 and older have a higher risk for this medication's side effects.
- Like most antidepressants, it can cause a higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people age 24 and younger.
- The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
- Need to avoid alcohol while on Horizant (Gabapentin Enacarbil).
- Has to be taken with food.
- If you want to stop taking this medication, you need to talk to your doctor first since stopping it cold turkey can cause seizures.
- Not available as a generic.
Have you used Elavil (Amitriptyline)?Leave a review
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Age 24 years or younger
History of bipolar disorder
...and 1 more risk factors
- Heart problems
History of cardiovascular disease
- Low blood pressure
Age 65 years or older
- Anticholinergic effects
Age 65 years or older
Stopping Horizant (Gabapentin Enacarbil) suddenly