Compare Fortesta vs. Aveed
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
This testosterone gel is a convenient topical form of hormone replacement that's less likely to rub off on other people you come into contact with, but it's not available as a generic yet.
This testosterone injection is a first-choice treatment, but you have to get it in your doctor's office each time.
- You apply it to your thighs like a lotion.
- Putting testosterone gel on your thights makes it less likely you'll transfer the medication to other people around you, compared to some other kinds of topical testosterone.
- A first-choice treatment for low testosterone in men.
- The first two shots are spaced out by a month, then each shot after that is given every 10 weeks.
- Your doctor will give you the shot.
- Not available in generic form, so it can be more expensive.
- You have to wait at least 2 hours after applying testosterone gel before you can swim or bathe, otherwise your body won't absorb the full amount of the medication.
- Your doctor has to give you this shot. You can't do it at home.
- Your doctor has to watch you for 30 minutes after your shot to make sure you don't have problems breathing or get a severe allergic reaction.
- Your doctor has to file paperwork each time you get the shot because of the risks involved.
- Not available as a generic, so it can be expensive.
- Low testosterone
- Low testosterone
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Skin reaction16%
- Injection site pain5%
- Prostatic specific antigen increased5%
- Estradiol increased3%
- Hemoglobin increased2%
- Mood swings2%
- Breast tissue changes
- Changes in sex drive
- Inability to urinate
Enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy)
- Changes in sperm
Taking high doses of Aveed (Testosterone Undecanoate Injection)
- Swelling in the legs
Heart, liver or kidney disease
- High calcium in the blood
Inability to move
...and 1 more risk factors
- Changes in blood sugar
- Changes in blood thinning
On blood thinners
- Changes in cholesterol
Taking medications to lower cholesterol