Compare Lamictal vs. desipramine
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is most useful for treating severe seizure disorders, and for bipolar disorder with more depression symptoms than manic symptoms. Just be careful to increase your dose slowly to avoid skin rash.
Norpramin (desipramine) is not a first choice for treating depression because of its effects on the heart, but it can be good if other medicines haven't worked.
- Effective at lowering the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome. Typically used together with other medications for severe seizure disorders.
- Works best for partial, tonic-clonic, and absence seizures.
- A first-line treatment for bipolar disorder. Effective long-term treatment for stabilizing mood. Prevents both depressive and manic episodes, but the effect is greater for preventing depression.
- Doesn't require routine blood tests.
- Norpramin (desipramine) is available in generic and in many different strengths, so the dose can be more customized.
- Norpramin (desipramine) has fewer side effects than similar tricyclic antidepressants.
- Can cause double vision, dizziness, sleepiness, and headache.
- Has the risk of a rare but life-threatening rash.
- Can make hormonal birth control less effective.
- Might be less effective than other medicines for treating manic episodes (acute mania) in people with bipolar disorder.
- Norpramin (desipramine) isn't recommended if you or your family has heart disease, seizures, or glaucoma.
- Norpramin (desipramine) isn't a first choice for depression because it has more side effects than other antidepressants.
- In some people, Norpramin (desipramine) can make you sleepy. In other people, Norpramin (desipramine) can keep you awake.
- If you have diabetes, Norpramin (desipramine) can make your blood sugar go up.
- Not recommended in children under 12 years of age.
- Extended release
- Chewable tablet
- Dissolving tablet
Have you used Lamictal (Lamotrigine)?Leave a review
- Blurred vision16%
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
History of depression
- Serious skin rash
People also taking Depakote
...and 2 more risk factors
- Interactions with birth control pills
Taking birth control pills
- Withdrawal seizures
Stopping Lamictal (Lamotrigine) suddenly
- Higher risk of suicide
People under age 24
- Serotonin syndrome
...and 5 more risk factors
- Changes to the heartbeat
History of heart disease
- Higher risk for seizures
History of seizures
...and 1 more risk factors