Compare Lamictal vs. Propranolol
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is most useful for treating severe seizure disorders, and for bipolar disorder with more depression symptoms than manic symptoms. Just be careful to increase your dose slowly to avoid skin rash.
Inderal (Propranolol) is good for treating many heart problems and other problems in the body, but it has more side effects than other beta blockers. You can't miss doses.
- Effective at lowering the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome. Typically used together with other medications for severe seizure disorders.
- Works best for partial, tonic-clonic, and absence seizures.
- A first-line treatment for bipolar disorder. Effective long-term treatment for stabilizing mood. Prevents both depressive and manic episodes, but the effect is greater for preventing depression.
- Doesn't require routine blood tests.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure, heart attack, heart valve disorders, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Also treats and prevents many non-heart problems, such as tremors, anxiety, migraines, and liver disease symptoms.
- Can cause double vision, dizziness, sleepiness, and headache.
- Has the risk of a rare but life-threatening rash.
- Can make hormonal birth control less effective.
- Might be less effective than other medicines for treating manic episodes (acute mania) in people with bipolar disorder.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Has more side effects than some beta blockers because it crosses into the brain and central nervous system.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Propranolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Bipolar I disorder (manic)
- Extended release
- Chewable tablet
- Dissolving tablet
- Extended release
Have you used Lamictal (Lamotrigine)?Leave a review
- Blurred vision16%
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
History of depression
- Serious skin rash
People also taking Depakote
...and 2 more risk factors
- Interactions with birth control pills
Taking birth control pills
- Withdrawal seizures
Stopping Lamictal (Lamotrigine) suddenly
- Increased chest pain or risk of heart attack
Suddenly stopping Inderal (Propranolol)
- Increased risks during surgery
Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Low blood pressure
Concurrent use of non-dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, digoxin or clonidine