Compare maprotiline vs. Doxepin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
While Ludiomil (maprotiline) is part of the first choice of medicines to treat depression, it can cause drowsiness and dehydration.
Zonalon (Doxepin) works well treating itchy skin, but could make you sleepy.
- Ludiomil (maprotiline) is available in generic.
- Ludiomil (maprotiline) doesn't cause sleep problems, unlike other medicines used to treat depression.
- In clinical trials, Zonalon (Doxepin) was found to be the most effective cream for treating itchy skin.
- You can use Zonalon (Doxepin) for up to 8 days at a time.
- Ludiomil (maprotiline) can make you very drowsy compared to other similar medicines.
- Ludiomil (maprotiline) can cause weight gain, fainting, and make you feel dehydrated.
- Stopping Ludiomil (maprotiline) suddenly without telling your doctor can be dangerous.
- You might not notice changes in your mood until you've taken Ludiomil (maprotiline) for several weeks.
- You need a prescription for Zonalon (Doxepin).
- It isn't available as a generic, so it could be kind of pricey.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can make you sleepy.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can interact with other medications, vitamins, or alternative treatments.
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- Dry mouth22%
- Weakness & fatigue4%
- Vision changes4%
- Difficulty controlling movements3%
- Higher risk of suicide
People under age 24
- Heart problems
History of heart attack or heart disease