Compare Mavik vs. Benicar
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Benicar (olmesartan) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects your kidneys, but with fewer side effects.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Similar to ACE inhibitors (like lisinopril), with fewer side effects like cough and swelling.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Available by itself and in combination with different blood pressure medicines in a single pill.
- Requires regular blood tests to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Recently became a generic, though still relatively expensive.
- Congestive heart failure hypertension impaired left ventricular function - myocardial infarction with complication
- Birth defects
Women of childbearing age
- Worsening kidney problems
History of kidney problems
- Swelling in the face and head
- High potassium levels
Current kidney problems
...and 2 more risk factors
- Low blood pressure
Taking with alcohol
...and 1 more risk factors