Compare Mirapex vs. carbidopa / levodopa / entacapone
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Mirapex (Pramipexole) is an effective medicine for Parkinson's disease or restless leg syndrome, but there are potentially serious side effects.
Stalevo (carbidopa / levodopa / entacapone) is a good choice for Parkinson's disease, especially when carbidopa/levodopa starts losing its effect.
- In studies, Mirapex (Pramipexole) when taken by itself or with other medicines, was effective in lowering movement fluctuations for people with Parkinson's disease.
- Mirapex (Pramipexole) is sometimes preferred over other medicines that treat Parkinson's disease in older people since it causes fewer movement and mental fluctuations.
- Is effective for treating restless leg syndrome.
- Available in a short-acting and a long-acting form.
- It combines three medicines into one pill so you don't have to take so many pills daily.
- Stalevo (carbidopa / levodopa / entacapone) is available as a generic.
- Mirapex (Pramipexole) isn't a first-choice treatment for Parkinson's disease. It can be used by itself, but it's usually used with other medicines.
- Mirapex (Pramipexole) can cause hallucinations in older people.
- Not the best choice if you have kidney problems. Your doctor may have to adjust your dose based on your kidney function.
- You can't suddenly stop taking Mirapex (Pramipexole). You'll have to slowly lower your dose, especially if you've been using it for a long time.
- You would first start by taking Stalevo (carbidopa / levodopa / entacapone) as two different pills, carbidopa/levodopa and entacapone, before you get switched over to Stalevo (carbidopa / levodopa / entacapone).
- It's less customizable since there are only a few fixed combinations available.
- Extended release
- Postural hypotension53%
- Extrapyramidal syndrome28%
- Accidental injury17%
- Any side effect12%
- Difficulty controlling movements25%
- Muscle spasm10%
- Changes in urine color10%
- Discolored urine10%
- Muscle rigidity9%
- Abdominal pain8%
- Driving impairment
Taking with alcohol
...and 1 more risk factors
- Low blood pressure
Taking blood pressure-lowering medicines
- Worsening kidney function
Current kidney problems
- Skin cancer
Age 65 years or older
- Stomach bleeding
History of stomach ulcers