|Breaks up mucus and relieves congestion. Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is good if you have a stuffy nose and a cough with mucus, but it could keep you up at night.||Coming soon.|
|How it works|
|Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is a combination medicine. Guaifenesin (an expectorant) breaks up and thins out mucus. Pseudoephedrine (a decongestant) clears your sinuses.||Coming soon.|
|Type of medication|
|Used for (click to learn more)|
- Allergic rhinitis Anaphylaxis
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
|No pricing data for this drug at this filter setting. Try searching onGoodRx|
|Reviews & ratings|
say Mucinex D is worth it
|say it works well|
|say it’s a big hassle|
We haven’t found good data for Mucinex D side effects.FDA side effect reports for Mucinex D »
We haven’t found good data for Brompheniramine side effects.FDA side effect reports for Brompheniramine »
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
|No specific alcohol-related info.||No specific alcohol-related info.|
|No specific food-related info.||No specific food-related info.|
|Kidneys and liver|
|No specific kidneys and liver-related info.||No specific kidneys and liver-related info.|
|No specific sex-related info.||No specific sex-related info.|
|No specific sleep-related info.||No specific sleep-related info.|
|No specific weight-related info.||No specific weight-related info.|
|Upsides and benefits|
- Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have sinus and chest congestion.
- Helps loosen the mucus in your airways so that you can cough it up more easily.
- Works well to clear nasal congestion and help you breathe better.
|Downsides and risks|
- Pseudoephedrine, the decongestant in Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), can make your heart race or make you feel anxious and restless.
- Doesn't work as well if you use it for more than 4 days at a time.
- Although you don't need a prescription to get Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), you need to show a photo ID to buy it in the drugstore.
- Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) because liquid helps break down mucus.
- Follow age-specific dosing instructions on how much to take. Don't take more than the recommended dose.
- You need to show an ID to buy Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) in the drugstore because it contains pseudoephedrine.
- Don't take Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) too close to bedtime since it can keep you awake.
- Can cause an irregular or fast heartbeat, and can raise your blood pressure.
|More about Mucinex DSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert||More about BrompheniramineSide effectsFDA package insert|