|Breaks up mucus and relieves congestion. Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is good if you have a stuffy nose and a cough with mucus, but it could keep you up at night.||Breaks up mucus that causes cough. Robitussin (Guaifenesin) is a useful medicine for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it doesn't last as long as other guaifenesin products.|
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
|Reviews & ratings|
Reviews for Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine)
of people say Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is worth it
say it works well
say it's a big hassle
Not enough reviews for this drug. Help someone out, leave a review!
We haven’t found good data for Mucinex D side effects.FDA side effect reports for Mucinex D »
We haven’t found good data for Robitussin side effects.FDA side effect reports for Robitussin »
|How it works|
|Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is a combination medicine. Guaifenesin (an expectorant) breaks up and thins out mucus. Pseudoephedrine (a decongestant) clears your sinuses.||Robitussin (Guaifenesin) is an expectorant. It contains guaifenesin, which thins and loosens mucus, making it easier to cough out.|
|Type of medication|
|Used for (click to learn more)|
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
- › History of high blood pressure
Detailed Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) risks & warnings »
- › History of heart problems
- › Age 65 years or older
|Detailed Robitussin (Guaifenesin) risks & warnings »|
|No specific alcohol-related info.||No specific alcohol-related info.|
|No specific food-related info.||No specific food-related info.|
|Kidneys and liver|
|No specific kidneys and liver-related info.||No specific kidneys and liver-related info.|
|No specific sex-related info.||No specific sex-related info.|
|No specific sleep-related info.||No specific sleep-related info.|
|No specific weight-related info.||No specific weight-related info.|
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have sinus and chest congestion.
- › Helps loosen the mucus in your airways so that you can cough it up more easily.
- › Works well to clear nasal congestion and help you breathe better.
- › Robitussin (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
- › It’s available at the drugstore either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and flu symptoms.
- › Available in multiple forms.
- › Can be used in children 12 years and older.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Pseudoephedrine, the decongestant in Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), can make your heart race or make you feel anxious and restless.
- › Doesn't work as well if you use it for more than 4 days at a time.
- › Although you don't need a prescription to get Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine), you need to show a photo ID to buy it in the drugstore.
- › Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- › Robitussin (Guaifenesin) doesn't last as long as other products that contain guaifenesin. Mucinex's extended release form lasts 12 hours and Robitussin (Guaifenesin)'s lasts 8 hours.
- › You need to drink a lot of fluids while taking this medication or it won't work as well.
- › Robitussin (Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- › Can cause nausea, headache, and an upset stomach.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Drink plenty of fluids while taking Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) because liquid helps break down mucus.
- › Follow age-specific dosing instructions on how much to take. Don't take more than the recommended dose.
- › You need to show an ID to buy Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) in the drugstore because it contains pseudoephedrine.
- › Don't take Mucinex D (Guaifenesin / Pseudoephedrine) too close to bedtime since it can keep you awake.
- › Can cause an irregular or fast heartbeat, and can raise your blood pressure.
- › Drink plenty of fluids while taking Robitussin (Guaifenesin) because liquid helps break down mucus.
- › Steam from a humidifier, cool mist vaporizer, or hot shower can also help add moisture to your airways.
- › Follow age-specific dosing instructions on how much to take.
- › If your cough lasts more than 7 days, call your doctor.
- › Robitussin (Guaifenesin) only works for coughs with mucus, so don't use it if you have a dry cough.
|More about Mucinex DSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert||More about RobitussinSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert|