Compare Mucinex DM vs. Robitussin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up. It comes as an extended-release tablet and a short-acting liquid.
Robitussin (Guaifenesin) is a useful medicine for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it doesn't last as long as other guaifenesin products.
- Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have chest congestion and a cough.
- Helps loosen the mucus and phlegm that builds up in productive and wet coughs.
- The extended release version of Mucinex DM lasts up to 12 hours.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
- It’s available at the drugstore either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and flu symptoms.
- Available in multiple forms.
- Can be used in children 12 years and older.
- Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough without mucus or phlegm.
- The two medications in this product could potentially work against each other. Guaifenesin makes mucus easier to cough up, while dextromethorphan (the "DM" in Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin)) stops you from coughing.
- Can cause sleepiness, dizziness, and an upset stomach.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) doesn't last as long as other products that contain guaifenesin. Mucinex's extended release form lasts 12 hours and Robitussin (Guaifenesin)'s lasts 8 hours.
- You need to drink a lot of fluids while taking this medication or it won't work as well.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- Can cause nausea, headache, and an upset stomach.
- Extended release
Have you used Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin)?Leave a review
- Serotonin syndrome
Using other medications that affect serotonin