Compare Myrbetriq vs. Oxybutynin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Myrbetriq (mirabegron) is a good treatment for overactive bladder with the least chance for dry mouth and constipation, but talk to your doctor if you have high blood pressure.
Oxytrol (Oxybutynin) is a good treatment for overactive bladder, but watch out for side effects such as dry mouth and constipation.
- Myrbetriq (mirabegron) helps you to have better control over your urination.
- Myrbetriq (mirabegron) causes less drowsiness and constipation than other medicines for overactive bladder.
- May be used if you have glaucoma.
- Myrbetriq (mirabegron) may be safer to use if you are over 65 years old.
- Oxytrol (Oxybutynin) is effective at treating overactive bladder by lowering the urge to urinate, and helping to better control urination.
- Available in multiple forms: a patch, gel, extended-release tablet, and tablet.
- The gel form of Oxytrol (Oxybutynin) is available over the counter without a prescription.
- Oxytrol (Oxybutynin) patch and gel have fewer side effects than taking the tablet.
- The tablet is available as a generic.
- Myrbetriq (mirabegron) might raise your blood pressure.
- If you have an obstruction in your bladder, Myrbetriq (mirabegron) might make you retain more urine.
- Myrbetriq (mirabegron) may be very expensive depending on your insurance.
- Not recommended if you have severe liver or kidney disease.
- Generally not recommended to use in people ages 65 and older since it can cause drowsiness and increase the risk of falls.
- Can’t be used if you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma.
- Not recommended if you have ulcerative colitis or certain other stomach problems since Oxytrol (Oxybutynin) can slow stomach emptying.
- Not the best choice if you have GERD (acid reflux), since Oxytrol (Oxybutynin) can irritate your throat and make the acid reflux worse.
- Has more side effects than newer medicines that treat overactive bladder.
- Extended release
- Extended release
- Cream, gel, or ointment
- High blood pressure11%
- Common cold symptoms4%
- Urinary tract infection4%
- Chest cold infection2%
- Joint pain2%
- Rapid heart beat2%
- Increased blood pressure
Untreated high blood pressure
- Urinary retention
Bladder outlet obstruction
- Driving impairment
Taking with alcohol
...and 1 more risk factors
- Heat exhaustion
Outside in hot weather
...and 2 more risk factors