|Relieves allergy symptoms. Nasonex (Mometasone) is a good first-choice treatment for stuffy and runny noses caused by allergies.||Coming soon.|
|How it works|
|Nasonex (Mometasone) is a topical steroid. It works directly where it's applied to help reduce swelling and inflammation in your nose.||Coming soon.|
|Type of medication|
› CorticosteroidPrescription only
|Used for (click to learn more)|
- › Allergic rhinitis Asthma
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
|No pricing data for this drug at this filter setting. Try searching onGoodRx|
|Reviews & ratings|
Reviews for Nasonex (Mometasone)
of people say Nasonex (Mometasone) is worth it
say it works well
say it's a big hassle
More Nasonex side effects »
Viral infection 3%
Menstrual cramps 2%
Sinus inflammation 2%
Musculoskeletal pain 2%
Sore throat 2%
We haven’t found good data for Ciclesonide side effects.FDA side effect reports for Ciclesonide »
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
- › Surgery or trauma to the nose or sinuses
- › Exposure to immunizable diseases (chickenpox and measles)
- › Exposure to tuberculosis
Detailed Nasonex (Mometasone) risks & warnings »
- › Long-term use
- › Taking more than recommended dose
|No specific alcohol-related info.||No specific alcohol-related info.|
|No specific food-related info.||No specific food-related info.|
|Kidneys and liver|
|No specific kidneys and liver-related info.||No specific kidneys and liver-related info.|
|No specific sex-related info.||No specific sex-related info.|
|No specific sleep-related info.||No specific sleep-related info.|
|No specific weight-related info.||No specific weight-related info.|
|Upsides and benefits|
- › First-choice medication for treating runny and stuffy noses caused by allergies. It works by reducing inflammation in the nose.
- › Because it's used directly where the inflammation is happening, it has fewer side effects than oral steroids do and has a lower chance of causing withdrawal symptoms once the medication is stopped.
- › Can be used as needed to help control symptoms in people age 13 years or older.
- › Available as a generic, which is cheaper.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Needs to be primed 10 times before it can be used, or re-primed if not used for more than 2 weeks.
- › Doesn't have a counter on it, so it can be hard to remember how many sprays are left (each bottle has 120 sprays).
- › Since the medicine in Nasonex (Mometasone) is a steroid, it can slow down your healing process if you've hurt your nose or had nose surgery.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Use Nasonex (Mometasone) once a day, following age-specific recommendations on how many sprays to use. Don't take more than prescribed.
- › Blow your nose before using.
- › Can cause thrush (a fungal infection) inside your nose and throat. Can also cause nosebleeds, a sore throat, and headaches.
- › Needs to be used regularly during allergy season for it to work. It can take 1 to 2 weeks for the medicine to start working fully.
- › Check with your doctor or pharmacist on how to use the nasal spray the right way.
- › Shake well before using it. Before the first use, prime the bottle by spraying it until you see a fine mist.
|More about NasonexSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert||More about CiclesonideSide effectsReviews & ratingsFDA package insert|