Compare desipramine vs. Paxil
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Norpramin (desipramine) is not a first choice for treating depression because of its effects on the heart, but it can be good if other medicines haven't worked.
Paxil (paroxetine) is effective for treating depression and anxiety, but causes more unwanted side-effects than other medicines that work like it.
- Norpramin (desipramine) is available in generic and in many different strengths, so the dose can be more customized.
- Norpramin (desipramine) has fewer side effects than similar tricyclic antidepressants.
- Available in a cheaper, generic form.
- Is convenient and can take once a day.
- Norpramin (desipramine) isn't recommended if you or your family has heart disease, seizures, or glaucoma.
- Norpramin (desipramine) isn't a first choice for depression because it has more side effects than other antidepressants.
- In some people, Norpramin (desipramine) can make you sleepy. In other people, Norpramin (desipramine) can keep you awake.
- If you have diabetes, Norpramin (desipramine) can make your blood sugar go up.
- Not recommended in children under 12 years of age.
- More likely to decrease your sexual appetite and delay or prevent ejaculation than other antidepressants.
- Like most antidepressants, Paxil (paroxetine) has a high risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior when used in children and adolescents.
- May not be appropriate for you if you are elderly or suffer from dementia.
- Extended release pill
- Abnormal ejaculation28%
- Difficulty sleeping21%
- Decreased sexual appetite12%
- Dry mouth9%
- Higher risk of suicide
People under age 24
- Serotonin syndrome
...and 5 more risk factors
- Changes to the heartbeat
History of heart disease
- Higher risk for seizures
History of seizures
...and 1 more risk factors
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Age 24 years or younger
- High levels of serotonin (Serotonin Syndrome)
Using other medications that affect serotonin levels
Stopping Paxil (paroxetine) suddenly
- Increased bleeding risk
Taking other blood-thinning drugs