Compare Oleptro vs. chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Oleptro (Trazodone) works well as a sleep aid, but has more side effects when used at higher doses for treating depression.
While Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline) as a combination can be used to treat both anxiety and depression, other medicines are considered first choice because chlordiazepoxide can be potentially addicting.
- Commonly used in lower doses to help treat sleep problems (insomnia).
- Safer sleep medication than others (benzodiazepines or Unisom) for people age 65 and older.
- Fewer sexual side effects than many other antidepressants.
- Has been used for sleep and depression for a long time. There's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- Comes as a generic medication and is cheaper than many other sleep aides.
- Six out of ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline) is available as a generic.
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline) works faster than amitriptyline alone.
- Not as effective as other medications for depression.
- More sedating than other antidepressants.
- Causes more side effects when used at higher doses for depression. Includes sleepiness, dizziness, upset stomach, and irregular heartbeat.
- Like most antidepressants, can cause higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people age 24 and younger.
- The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline) is only available in certain strengths, so it can be difficult to customize a dose that treats both anxiety and depression.
- Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline) contains chlordiazepoxide, which can be potentially addicting.
- You might not notice any changes in your mood until you've been taking Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline) for several weeks.
- Amitriptyline alone is considered a better treatment for anxiety and depression than Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline).
- Other medicines are considered first choice for treating anxiety and depression over Limbitrol (chlordiazepoxide / amitriptyline).
- Anxiety and depression
- Extended release
Have you used Oleptro (Trazodone)?Leave a review
- Dry Mouth34%
- Dry mouth25%
- Blurred Vision15%
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Age 24 years or younger
History of seizures
...and 4 more risk factors
- Low blood pressure
Age 65 years or older
- Driving impairment
...and 1 more risk factors
- Higher risk of suicide
People under age 24
- Vision changes
- Changes in heartbeat, heart attack, or stroke
- Breathing problems
...and 1 more risk factors
- Drowsiness and sleepiness
Drinking alcohol or taking narcotics