Compare Penicillin vs. Bactrim
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Penicillin Vk (Penicillin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. You may need to use another form of birth control along with your birth control pills. It's also best taken on an empty stomach but it can cause an upset stomach.
Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. However, you can be more likely to sunburn.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Widely available as a generic product and in a variety of formulations (tablet, capsule, suspension).
- Works well to treat many types of bacterial infections
- Many bacteria have developed resistance. Your doctor may run tests to see if Penicillin will work on your infection.
- Can make birth control pills less effective.
- Best taken on an empty stomach, but can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.
- Makes you sensitive to the sun.
- Can upset your stomach
- Drink plenty of water or fluids to avoid harming your kidneys
- May cause birth defects
Have you used Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)?Leave a review
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills
- Allergic reactions
- Prior severe allergic reaction to Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)
- Harm to fetus
- Lower kidney function
- Taking other medicines that lower kidney function