|Prevents blood clots. Plavix (clopidogrel) is a cheap, generically available blood thinner that protects you from clots after you've had a heart attack or surgery.||Coming soon.|
|Reviews & ratings|
Reviews for Plavix
of people (All ages) say Plavix is worth it
say it works well
say it's a big hassle
Not enough reviews for this treatment. Help someone out, leave a review!
More Plavix side effects »
Minor bleeding 3%
Major bleeding 1%
We haven’t found good data for Ticlid side effects.FDA side effect reports for Ticlid »
|How it works|
|Plavix (clopidogrel) is an antiplatelet blood thinner. It stops platelets in your blood from clumping together which makes it harder for them to form clots.||Coming soon.|
|Type of medication|
- › Placement Of Stent In Coronary Artery Adjunct Thromboembolic Stroke
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
Detailed Plavix (clopidogrel) risks & warnings »
- › Taking Prilosec or Nexium
- › People with certain genes that make Plavix (clopidogrel) less effective
- › History of stomach bleeding
- › Taking other medicines that increase the levels of Plavix (clopidogrel) in your body
- › Taking other blood thinners or medicines that increase the risk of bleeding
Research studies with animals haven’t found a risk to unborn babies, but it hasn’t been properly studied in humans.
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Plavix (clopidogrel) can help lower your risk of getting a stroke or heart attack.
- › You only need to take it once a day.
- › A genetic test is available to determine whether Plavix (clopidogrel) will be an effective treatment option for you.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising, which can be serious and life-threatening.
- › May not be safe to be taken with many other medicines or supplements.
- › If you've taken too much Plavix (clopidogrel) and you're bleeding, plasma transfusions are required to stop the bleeding.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Thins your blood to prevent clots from forming or getting bigger.
- › Can raise your risk of bleeding or bruising.
- › Take this medicine exactly as told by your doctor.
- › Plavix (clopidogrel) may not be safe to be taken together with some medicines and over-the-counter supplements. Don't start any new medicine without first speaking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- › Let your doctor know right away if you experience a fever, weakness, or unusual bleeding and bruising.
- › You should stop taking Plavix (clopidogrel) at least 5 days before any major surgeries to lower your chances of bleeding.
|More about PlavixSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert||More about TiclidSide effectsFDA package insert|