Compare Precose vs. Janumet
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Precose (acarbose) helps lower your post-mealtime blood sugar levels, but it must be taken at the beginning of each main meal in order for it to be most effective.
Janumet is a combination of two anti-diabetic medicines that work better together, but is available as brand only.
- Precose (acarbose) helps control meal-time blood sugar levels without causing weight gain.
- When used alone it doesn't normally cause blood sugar levels to be too low unlike other anti-diabetes medicines.
- Safe to be used in people age 65 or older.
- Has relatively few interactions with other medicines.
- This 2-in-1 combination can lower the number of pills you have to take daily.
- Lowers A1c (average blood sugar over time) up to 2.5%.
- Available in extended and immediate release forms to allow better control of your blood sugar.
- Doesn't increase your appetite unlike other anti-diabetic medicines.
- Does not cause hypoglycemia or very low blood sugar.
- Not a first choice medicine because it isn't as effective at lowering blood sugar compared to other treatment options.
- Associated with bothersome side effects like excessive gas and diarrhea.
- Relatively more expensive than other diabetes medicines.
- Has to be taken three times a day with each meal.
- Might cause episodes of low blood sugar when taken together with insulin or medicines that stimulate insulin release.
- Available as brand name only and may be expensive.
- Metformin component usually causes upset stomach.
- Sitagliptin component may increase your risk for throat infections and inflammation of pancreas.
- Not appropriate for those with poor kidney function.
- Extended release
- Excessive gas74%
- Stomach pain19%
- Low blood sugar
Using insulin or other medicines that stimulate insulin release
- Kidney function
Those with kidney problems
- Interactions with other medicines
Taking multiple medicines together
- Excess lactic acid in the blood
...and 5 more risk factors