Compare Premarin Vaginal Cream vs. Prempro
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens) works well for vaginal problems caused by menopause, and it has fewer side effects than estrogen pills.
- Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens) relieves vaginal dryness and irritation to make sex more enjoyable.
- Works locally in the vagina and doesn't expose the rest of your body to estrogen like pills do.
- Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens) doesn't need to be used forever, so you can work with your doctor to see how long you’ll need to continue treatment.
- For painful sex, it can work better than over-the-counter vaginal lubricants because Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens) treats the cause of the problem (low estrogen levels), not just the symptoms (dryness).
- Vaginal estrogens can weaken latex (rubber) condoms, cervical caps, and diaphragms, so you can't rely on these for birth control for 72 hours after using Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens).
- If you have severe vaginal dryness, you might have pain, bleeding, or infections from repeatedly inserting the applicator.
- Some of the medicine can be absorbed into your partner's skin, so you can’t have vaginal sex right after using Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens).
- Even though Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens) is used in the vagina, it's possible some of the estrogens will get into the rest of your body and cause side effects that happen more often with estrogen pills.
- Vaginal dryness and inflammation
- Painful intercourse from menopause
- Menopause - Moderate to severe abnormal vasomotor function Menopause - Moderate to severe vaginal atrophy - Moderate to severe vulvar atrophy Postmenopausal osteoporosis
- In women with an intact uterus; Prophylaxis
- Vaginal cream, gel, or ointment
- Any side effect90%
- Abdominal pain17%
- Back pain13%
- Flu syndrome10%
- Endometrial cancer
Using estrogen for more than one year
- Breast cancer
Personal or family history of breast cancer
...and 1 more risk factors
- Increased risk of blood clots and stroke
Personal or family history of blood clots
...and 2 more risk factors
- Increased risk of heart disease
...and 5 more risk factors
- Serious allergic reaction
Prior severe allergic reaction to Premarin Vaginal Cream (Conjugated Estrogens)
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age
- Pancreas swelling (pancreatitis)
High levels of triglycerides