Compare Propranolol vs. Topamax
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Inderal (Propranolol) is good for treating many heart problems and other problems in the body, but it has more side effects than other beta blockers. You can't miss doses.
Qudexy Xr (Topiramate) is useful for preventing seizures and migraines, and doesn't require blood tests while you're on it.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure, heart attack, heart valve disorders, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Also treats and prevents many non-heart problems, such as tremors, anxiety, migraines, and liver disease symptoms.
- Used on its own or with other antiepileptic medicines to lower the frequency of seizures, especially for people with tonic-clonic or partial seizures, or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome.
- Helpful in preventing frequent migraine headaches.
- Doesn't need routine blood tests.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Has more side effects than some beta blockers because it crosses into the brain and central nervous system.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Propranolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Can cause sleepiness, speech problems, tingling sensations, and weight loss.
- A few people will get kidney stones.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Migraine prevention
- Extended release
- Extended release capsule
Have you used Inderal (Propranolol)?Leave a review
- Speech disorders/Related speech problems13%
- Psychomotor slowing13%
- Vision abnormal13%
- Difficulty with memory12%
- Increased chest pain or risk of heart attack
Suddenly stopping Inderal (Propranolol)
- Increased risks during surgery
Major surgery requiring anesthesia
- Masked symptoms of low blood sugar
- Low blood pressure
Concurrent use of non-dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, digoxin or clonidine
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
History of depression
- Uncontrolled body temperature
- Mental changes due to high ammonia
History of metabolic disorders
...and 1 more risk factors
- Kidney stones
...and 2 more risk factors
- Withdrawal seizures
Stopping Qudexy Xr (Topiramate) suddenly