|Coming soon.||Prevents blood clots. Plavix (clopidogrel) is a cheap, generically available blood thinner that protects you from clots after you've had a heart attack or surgery.|
|Reviews & ratings|
Not enough reviews for this treatment. Help someone out, leave a review!
Reviews for Plavix
-16% worse vs. Relafen
+16% better vs. Relafen
We haven’t found good data for Relafen side effects.FDA side effect reports for Relafen »
More Plavix side effects »
Minor bleeding 3%
Major bleeding 1%
|How it works|
|Coming soon.||Plavix (clopidogrel) is an antiplatelet blood thinner. It stops platelets in your blood from clumping together which makes it harder for them to form clots.|
|Type of medication|
- › Osteoarthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
Detailed Plavix (clopidogrel) risks & warnings »
- › Taking Prilosec or Nexium
- › People with certain genes that make Plavix (clopidogrel) less effective
- › History of stomach bleeding
- › Taking other medicines that increase the levels of Plavix (clopidogrel) in your body
- › Taking other blood thinners or medicines that increase the risk of bleeding
Research studies with animals found harmful effects on unborn babies. It hasn’t been properly studied in humans. The benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Plavix (clopidogrel) can help lower your risk of getting a stroke or heart attack.
- › You only need to take it once a day.
- › A genetic test is available to determine whether Plavix (clopidogrel) will be an effective treatment option for you.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising, which can be serious and life-threatening.
- › May not be safe to be taken with many other medicines or supplements.
- › If you've taken too much Plavix (clopidogrel) and you're bleeding, plasma transfusions are required to stop the bleeding.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Thins your blood to prevent clots from forming or getting bigger.
- › Can raise your risk of bleeding or bruising.
- › Take this medicine exactly as told by your doctor.
- › Plavix (clopidogrel) may not be safe to be taken together with some medicines and over-the-counter supplements. Don't start any new medicine without first speaking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- › Let your doctor know right away if you experience a fever, weakness, or unusual bleeding and bruising.
- › You should stop taking Plavix (clopidogrel) at least 5 days before any major surgeries to lower your chances of bleeding.
|More about RelafenSide effectsReviews & ratingsFDA package insert||More about PlavixSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert|