Compare Sonata vs. Doxepin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Sonata (Zaleplon) helps you fall asleep, but it's not as good for staying asleep. It also interacts with a lot of diseases and other drugs.
Zonalon (Doxepin) works well treating itchy skin, but could make you sleepy.
- Effective at helping people fall asleep faster.
- Doesn't last as long in the body as some other sleep medicines, so it's okay to take it in the middle of the night as long as you enough time to sleep. (But be sure to discuss it with your doctor first.)
- In clinical trials, Zonalon (Doxepin) was found to be the most effective cream for treating itchy skin.
- You can use Zonalon (Doxepin) for up to 8 days at a time.
- Not typically used for long-term treatment since it can be habit-forming.
- Doesn't last as long in the body as other sleep medicines, so it's not as good at helping you stay asleep.
- Interacts badly with many other medications.
- Not a good option if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.
- People have sleep-walked, sleep-driven, and sleep-eaten while on Sonata (Zaleplon).
- Might not be safe if you have problems with your liver, kidneys, lungs, or if you have a history of depression.
- It's easy to become reliant on sleep medicines. In the long run, it's better to learn good sleeping habits and behaviors so you can sleep better naturally.
- You need a prescription for Zonalon (Doxepin).
- It isn't available as a generic, so it could be kind of pricey.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can make you sleepy.
- Zonalon (Doxepin) can interact with other medications, vitamins, or alternative treatments.
- Skin intching (moderate)
- Cream, gel, or ointment
Have you used Sonata (Zaleplon)?Leave a review
- Abdominal Pain6%
- Eye pain3%
- Dependence and withdrawal
Continuous use for 2 weeks or more
- Driving impairment
...and 2 more risk factors
- Abnormal thoughts
Undiagnosed psychiatric conditions
- Sleep driving
Taking with alcohol or drugs
- Risk to fetus
Women of childbearing age
...and 1 more risk factors