Compare Tenex vs. Effexor
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Tenex (Guanfacine) can be used to treat both blood pressure and ADHD, but it's not recommended as a first-line treatment for either problem.
Effexor (venlafaxine) is good for treating depression and anxiety, but it can cause more withdrawal symptoms if you stop suddenly compared to other antidepressants.
- The same medication treats two different things, high blood pressure and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- It's not a "controlled medication".
- Used to control ADHD when stimulant medications haven't worked or can't be used due to other medical problems.
- Available as a generic medication, so it should be more affordable than other options.
- Effexor (venlafaxine) effectively treats depression, anxiety, and panic disorder.
- Effexor (venlafaxine) causes more sleepiness than other antidepressants, so it's beneficial for people who have trouble sleeping.
- Effexor (venlafaxine) might work when other antidepressants haven't worked since it affects two chemicals in the brain that impact your mood.
- Effexor (venlafaxine) has several uses, which may be good for people with multiple conditions.
- Effexor (venlafaxine) is available in generic, which is cheaper.
- Doesn't control ADHD as well as stimulants do, so it's used as a second-line medication.
- Not a preferred drug to control blood pressure.
- Can't be stopped suddenly, especially for blood pressure, since the blood pressure can dramatically increase.
- Effexor (venlafaxine) can cause side effects such as decreased libido and increased blood pressure.
- Like most antidepressants, it can cause a higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people aged 24 years or younger.
- Compared to other antidepressants, it's more likely to cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop taking it and can causes more sleepiness.
- Extended release
- Extended release
- Dry Mouth10%
- Any side effect5%
- Dry mouth22%
- Difficulty sleeping18%
Taking other medications that cause sedation or sleepiness
- Rebound high blood pressure
Stopping Tenex (Guanfacine) suddenly to treat high blood pressure
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Age 24 years or younger
- Serotonin syndrome
Taking tricyclic antidepressants, lithium, tramadol, fentanyl, amphetamines, certain headache medications (triptans), St. John's Wort
Stopping Effexor (venlafaxine) suddenly
- Increased bleeding
Taking other blood-thinning drugs (including aspirin, NSAIDs such as Advil, warfarin)
- Increased blood pressure
- Bipolar disorder
History of bipolar disorder
...and 1 more risk factors