|Coming soon.||Improves mood and helps you sleep. Oleptro (Trazodone) works well as a sleep aid, but has more side effects when used at higher doses for treating depression.|
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Prices and coupon for 30 (25mg) tablets of imipramine hydrochloride
Prices and coupon for 30 (50mg) tablets of trazodone
|Reviews & ratings|
Not enough reviews for this drug. Help someone out, leave a review!
Reviews for Oleptro (trazodone)
+73% better vs. Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride)
+49% better vs. Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride)
-24% worse vs. Tofranil (imipramine hydrochloride)
We haven’t found good data for Tofranil side effects.FDA side effect reports for Tofranil »
|More Oleptro side effects »|
|How it works|
|Coming soon.||Oleptro (Trazodone) is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SRI) antidepressant. It increases serotonin activity in the brain, which regulates mood.|
|Type of medication|
- › Depression Nocturnal Enuresis
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
- › Age 24 years or younger
- › History of seizures
- › Alcoholism
- › Eating disorder
- › Higher dose
- › Drug interactions
Detailed Oleptro (trazodone) risks & warnings »
- › Alcohol
- › Taking other medicines that make you less alert
The FDA hasn’t classified this medicine’s effects on unborn babies. Talk with your doctor about this medicine if you’re pregnant or planning on it.
Research studies with animals found harmful effects on unborn babies. It hasn’t been properly studied in humans. The benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.
|Upsides and benefits|
- › Commonly used in lower doses to help treat sleep problems (insomnia).
- › Safer sleep medication than others (benzodiazepines or Unisom) for people age 65 and older.
- › Fewer sexual side effects than many other antidepressants.
- › Has been used for sleep and depression for a long time. There's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- › Comes as a generic medication and is cheaper than many other sleep aides.
- › Six out of ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Not as effective as other medications for depression.
- › More sedating than other antidepressants.
- › Causes more side effects when used at higher doses for depression. Includes sleepiness, dizziness, upset stomach, and irregular heartbeat.
- › Like most antidepressants, can cause higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people age 24 and younger.
- › The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Makes you sleepy. Take at bedtime.
- › Can cause temporary dry mouth and upset stomach.
- › Seek medical attention for unwanted, persistent erection.
- › Tell your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or unusual thoughts.
|More about TofranilSide effectsReviews & ratingsFDA package insert||More about OleptroSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert|