|Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate. Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) is good for controlling chest pain and treating heart failure and heart attack. You can't miss doses.||Coming soon.|
|How it works|
|Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) is a beta blocker. It lowers blood pressure by slowing heart rate, relaxing blood vessels, and lowering the body's fight-or-flight response.||Coming soon.|
|Type of medication|
› Beta blockerPrescription only
|Used for (click to learn more)|
- › Atrial arrhythmia Ventricular arrhythmia
|Find lowest prices|
Save on your next prescription. Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
|Reviews & ratings|
Reviews for Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate)
of people say Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) is worth it
say it works well
say it's a big hassle
Not enough reviews for this drug. Help someone out, leave a review!
|More Toprol XL side effects »|
We haven’t found good data for Betapace side effects.FDA side effect reports for Betapace »
|Risk factors for serious side effects|
- › Coronary artery disease
Detailed Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) risks & warnings »
- › Major surgery requiring anesthesia
CFDA pregnancy category (Weigh risks vs. benefits)
Research studies with animals found harmful effects on unborn babies. It hasn’t been properly studied in humans. The benefits might outweigh the risks even if you’re pregnant. Talk with your doctor.See the FDA package insert
BFDA pregnancy category (Probably safe)
Research studies with animals haven’t found a risk to unborn babies, but it hasn’t been properly studied in humans.See the FDA package insert
|No specific alcohol-related info.||No specific alcohol-related info.|
|No specific food-related info.||No specific food-related info.|
|Kidneys and liver|
|No specific kidneys and liver-related info.||No specific kidneys and liver-related info.|
|No specific sex-related info.||No specific sex-related info.|
|No specific sleep-related info.||No specific sleep-related info.|
|No specific weight-related info.||No specific weight-related info.|
|Upsides and benefits|
- › A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina). Makes pain attacks less frequent and makes it easier to be active without having chest pain.
- › A first-choice treatment for heart failure. May prevent long-term heart damage.
- › A first-choice treatment for heart attack. Lowers the risk of death during and after a heart attack.
- › Toprol XL is the extended release version of Lopressor.
|Downsides and risks|
- › Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- › Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease.
- › Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- › You can't miss doses. Stopping Toprol XL suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
|Tips from our pharmacists for people taking the medication|
- › Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- › Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- › Can cause fatigue and headache.
- › Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar. Be careful if you're diabetic.
- › Don't stop taking this medicine suddenly.
- › Extended release version. Also comes in immediate release called Lopressor (metoprolol tartrate).
|More about Toprol XLSide effectsReviews & ratingsAlternativesFDA package insert||More about BetapaceSide effectsReviews & ratingsFDA package insert|