Compare Vancocin vs. daptomycin
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Vancocin (vancomycin) is effective in treating C. difficile-associated diarrhea or Staph infection of the small intestine and colon.
Cubicin (daptomycin) is an antibiotic that's usually only given in the hospital for serious infections. It can be given at home, but you will have to be taught how to inject it correctly.
- Vancocin (vancomycin) is the first choice medicine to treat C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
- Available in generic.
- Available as both a capsule and a liquid.
- Cubicin (daptomycin) is good at treating severe and complicated bacterial infections.
- It is able to kill bacteria that have resistance to other antibiotics.
- Most people who take Cubicin (daptomycin) have few side effects.
- You usually only need to take it once a day.
- Vancocin (vancomycin) is only given by mouth to treat C. difficile-associated diarrhea or Staph infection of the small intestine and colon. It is not effective for other types of infections.
- Vancocin (vancomycin) must be taken 3 to 4 times a day.
- Cubicin (daptomycin) is usually only given for extremely serious infections that haven't responded to other antibiotics.
- Cubicin (daptomycin) can cause muscle aches and weakness, which can lead to kidney problems.
- You might need to have more blood tests done while taking Cubicin (daptomycin).
- Like most antibiotics, it is common to have diarrhea when taking this medicine.
- While Cubicin (daptomycin) is generic, it is usually very expensive.
- Clostridium difficile diarrhea
- Staphylococcal infection of small intestine and colon
- Skin infections
- Blood infection
- Abdominal pain15%
- Low potassium levels13%
- Urinary tract infection8%
- Abnormal liver tests3%
- Muscle damage3%
- Urinary tract infection2%
- Low blood pressure2%
- Shortness of breath2%
- Kidney problems
Age 65 and older
...and 3 more risk factors
- Hearing loss
Underlying hearing loss
...and 2 more risk factors
- Allergic reaction
Allergy to antibiotics
- Muscle pain & kidney damage
History of kidney problems
...and 1 more risk factors
Taking Cubicin (daptomycin) for at least 2 to 4 weeks