Compare Vytorin vs. Antara
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Vytorin is expensive and is no more effective than simvastatin by itself.
3.3/ 5 average rating with 99 reviewsforVytorin
Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides.
Antara (fenofibrate) is effective at lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels, but may cause liver problems and muscle pain.
2.5/ 5 average rating with 56 reviewsforAntara
- A 2-in-1 cholesterol-lowering combination medicine.
- Lowers "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raises "good" cholesterol (HDL) in people who have trouble doing this through diet and exercise.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can reduce triglycerides by about 20-50%.
- Although not as effective at lowering triglycerides, Antara (fenofibrate) can lower "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL).
- There is a less expensive generic version available.
- You only need to take it once a day, with or without food.
- In clinical studies, simvastatin/ezetimibe hasn't controlled cholesterol better than simvastatin alone.
- There's no generic available, so it can be expensive.
- Not as effective as statins in lowering cholesterol levels. You shouldn't take Antara (fenofibrate) by itself to lower cholesterol.
- Drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly while taking Antara (fenofibrate) can increase your risk of liver damage.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of gallbladder, liver or kidney disease. Antara (fenofibrate) might not be the best choice to lower your triglyceride levels.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can interact with other medications such as warfarin, colchicine, and sulfonylureas.
- Antara (fenofibrate) was not shown to reduce rates of death in people with type 2 diabetes.
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
99 reviews so far
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Vytorin (Ezetimibe / Simvastatin)?Leave a review
8possible side effects
- Any side effect5%
- Increased ALT4%
- Upper respiratory tract infection4%
- Pain in extremity2%
11possible side effects
- Abnormal liver function tests8%
- Respiratory disorder6%
- Stomach pain5%
- Back pain3%
- Increased AST3%
- Increased ALT3%
- Increased creatine phosphokinase3%
- Hay fever2%
Risks and risk factors
- Muscle pain
- Asian patients taking high-dose niacin
- Liver damage
- Past history of liver disease
- heavy alcohol use
- High blood sugar
- Increased risk for colds and flu
- Skin reactions
- Harm to fetus
- Muscle pain
- Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with statins
- Elderly patients
- Patients with diabetes
- Patients with a history of renal failure.
- Liver damage
- History of liver disease
- History of gallstones
- Increased bleeding risk
- Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with anticoagulants
- Inflammation of pancreas
- Changes in blood tests