Compare Zetia vs. Antara
Head-to-head comparisons of medication uses, side effects, ratings, and more.
Zetia (ezetimibe) can improve your cholesterol and can be used as an alternative to statins.
Antara (fenofibrate) is effective at lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels, but may cause liver problems and muscle pain.
- Lowers "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raises "good" cholesterol (HDL) in people who have trouble doing this through diet and exercise.
- Can be used with other medicines to improve cholesterol.
- Available in a combination pill with simvastatin.
- Available as a generic.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can reduce triglycerides by about 20-50%.
- Although not as effective at lowering triglycerides, Antara (fenofibrate) can lower "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL).
- There is a less expensive generic version available.
- You only need to take it once a day, with or without food.
- Doesn't lower triglycerides (fats).
- Hasn't been shown to lower the risk of heart attacks or heart disease.
- By itself, it isn't as effective as statins for improving cholesterol.
- Not as effective as statins in lowering cholesterol levels. You shouldn't take Antara (fenofibrate) by itself to lower cholesterol.
- Drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly while taking Antara (fenofibrate) can increase your risk of liver damage.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of gallbladder, liver or kidney disease. Antara (fenofibrate) might not be the best choice to lower your triglyceride levels.
- Antara (fenofibrate) can interact with other medications such as warfarin, colchicine, and sulfonylureas.
- Antara (fenofibrate) was not shown to reduce rates of death in people with type 2 diabetes.
Have you used Zetia (ezetimibe)?Leave a review
- Common cold4%
- Sore throat4%
- Sinus infection3%
- Joint pain3%
- Pain in arms and legs3%
- Muscle pain3%
- Abnormal liver tests3%
- Abnormal liver function tests8%
- Respiratory disorder6%
- Stomach pain5%
- Back pain3%
- Increased AST3%
- Increased ALT3%
- Increased creatine phosphokinase3%
- Muscle pain
Taking Zetia (ezetimibe) with statins
- Abnormal liver blood tests
Past history of liver disease
...and 1 more risk factors
- Muscle pain
Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with statins
...and 3 more risk factors
- Liver damage
History of liver disease
History of gallstones
- Increased bleeding risk
Taking Antara (fenofibrate) with anticoagulants