- Also known as
- Soft bones
Rickets causes soft, weak bones in children. It usually occurs when they do not get enough vitamin D, which helps growing bones absorb the minerals calcium and phosphorous. It can also happen when calcium or phosphorus levels are too low.
Your child might not get enough vitamin D if he or she
- Has dark skin
- Spends too little time outside
- Has on sunscreen all the time when out of doors
- Doesn't eat foods containing vitamin D because of lactose intolerance or a strict vegetarian diet
- Is breastfed without receiving vitamin D supplements
- Can't make or use vitamin D because of a medical disorder such as celiac disease
In addition to dietary rickets, children can get an inherited form of the disease.
Top Medications for Rickets
All Medications for Rickets
Medication side effects
We’re still collecting side effect information for Rickets medications, so we can’t show you a comparison right now.
Help us out by writing a review of your meds.