Prevents bone loss.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Actonel (Risedronate) is a first-choice treatment for osteoporosis and is available as a generic, but how you have to take it can be a hassle.
- Available in generic.
- Available in oral tablets that can be taken once or twice a month, once a week, or once a day.
- You have to take it first thing in the morning with a full glass of water.
- You have to remain upright for at least 30 minutes after you take the medication, which can be a problem if you have mobility issues.
Save on your next Actonel (Risedronate) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 1 tablet of 150mg dose pack
- Cost for (1) 1 tablet of 150mg dose pack of Actonel (Risedronate) at pharmacies
- $165.51New price:$94.34Save:43%
- Rite-Aid$224.13New price:$100.86Save:55%
Side effects for Actonel (Risedronate)
What to expect when you take Actonel (Risedronate)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- If you're taking the fast release medication, take it first thing when you wake up by swallowing the whole pill with a full glass of water.
- Don't eat or drink anything for 30 minutes after you've taken the fast release medication.
- If you're taking the extended release medication, take it after your first meal of the day with at least a half cup of water.
- Stay sitting or standing and Don't take any other medications, vitamins or supplements for at least 30 minutes after you take the medication.
- If you have pain with swallowing, around your chest or stomach, or new or worsening heartburn, talk to your doctor.
- Call your doctor if you develop pain in your jaw, hips or thighs.
- Keep taking your calcium and vitamin D.
- If you forget to take your dose, skip it and take it the following morning.
- Some of these medications are only taken once or twice a month, others are taken once a week and others once a day. Talk to your pharmacist if you're not sure.
- Consider adding weight-bearing exercises as part of your exercise routine.
Risks and Warnings for Actonel (Risedronate)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
People on Actonel (Risedronate) have reported irritation to the stomach and esophagus to the point of ulcers. It is very important to remain standing or sitting upright for at least 30 minutes after you take the medication to help stop this from happening, and to take this first thing in the morning when you wake up with a full glass of plain water. Talk to your doctor if this will be a problem for you. Also, talk to your doctor if you notice new pain while swallowing, or pain around the middle of your chest or abdomen while taking this medication.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Actonel (Risedronate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › If you're taking the extended release medication, take it after your first meal of the day with at least a half cup of water.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Consider adding weight-bearing exercises as part of your exercise routine.