Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) is a first-choice treatment for ADHD that's available as a generic, but it's a stimulant, so it can cause insomnia and other side effects.
- First-choice medication to treat ADHD.
- Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Available in both immediate and extended release forms.
- The capsules can be opened, mixed in a spoonful of applesauce, and swallowed if you can't swallow the whole capsules.
- Has to be taken in the morning and early afternoon, otherwise it can cause insomnia.
- It's a controlled medication and should be locked up to prevent potential abuse.
- Not safe for people with a history of heart problems.
- For schooled-aged children, the second dose will likely need to be given at school.
Save on your next Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormally fast heart beat
- Anorexia and weightloss
- Changes in libido
- Dilated pupil
- Dry mouth
- Elevation of blood pressure
- Hair loss or baldness
- Heart attack
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- Hypersensitivity reactions including angioedema & anaphylaxis
- Intense emotional discomfort
- Low mood disorder
- Muscle twitch
- Other gastrointestinal disturbances
- Psychotic episodes at recommended doses
- Serious skin rashes including stevens-johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Sudden death
- Unpleasant taste
- Vision blurred
What to expect when you start Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause blurry vision, loss of appetite, weight loss, headache, dry mouth, or anxious feelings.
- Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.
- Can cause trouble sleeping, so don't take it too close to bedtime.
- If using the extended-release version, the first dose is best taken right after waking up in the morning.
- Capsules can be opened and sprinkled on applesauce, which can then be swallowed without chewing.
Risks and Warnings for Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) has been associated with heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Anyone with a history of heart problems shouldn't take it, and people should be screened for heart problems before starting it. Watch out for unexplained fainting or chest pain that comes on with physical activity.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.
- For me, it is very necessary to eat a big meal before my dose or else it will be near impossible to eat a full meal for the duration of the dayAge: 21Gender: manTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: two years or more
- Be sure to drink lots of water, and eat lots of calorie-dense foods. Useful though it is, Adderall might make you forget to eat (like it did me, whenever I changed my dosage) and that can mean trouble.Age: 21Gender: womanDuration taken: two years or more
- It's magic. But the schedule II controlled substance is a pain. I've also read to avoid acidic foods and drinks an hour around the dose bc it will metabolize quicker and result in less of an effect.Age: 32Gender: womanTaken for: ADHD
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause trouble sleeping, so don't take it too close to bedtime.
- Find the right dosage and stick with it - don't take it "as needed." Expect some sleeping hassles, and watch your diet.Age: 58Gender: manTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: a few months
- I have severe ADHD, my Adderall helps me immensely with my day-to-day work. I still have an appetite and it doesn't effect my sleeping unless I take it in the late afternoon. Overall I think it helps someone a lot with diagnosed ADHD.Age: 20Gender: manTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: two years or more
- Quality of life saver. I am far more effective using it. Will mess with sleep resulting in need for sleep aid, Lunest, Sonata, avoid Ambien at all costs. Effects appetite through suppression. I regularly forget to eat sapping my energy.Age: 56Gender: manTaken for: ADHD
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause blurry vision, loss of appetite, weight loss, headache, dry mouth, or anxious feelings.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Appetite suppression may occur. In clinical studies, long-term treatment with stimulants similar to Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) caused a temporary slowing of growth rate (both height and weight) in children ages seven to ten years. Doctors should monitor children's growth during treatment.
- Can also help with depression. Appetite suppressant side-effect can cause a normal sized person to lose too much weight. Can exacerbate other meantal health issues and cause insomnia.Age: 21Gender: manTaken for: ADHD
- Really thought it would help my ADHD but all it did is make me feel a little tired and I couldn't eat. Lost 5 pounds in a week, which is not good at my weight.Age: 18Gender: manTaken for: ADHD