Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our bottom line
Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine) is a first-choice treatment for ADHD that's available as a generic, but it's a stimulant, so it can cause difficulty sleeping and other side effects.
- First-choice medication to treat ADHD.
- Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- Available as a generic medication.
- Available in both immediate and extended release forms.
- For the extended release capsule, if you can't swallow the whole capsule, the capsule can be opened, mixed in a spoonful of applesauce, and swallowed.
- Has to be taken in the morning and early afternoon, otherwise it can cause difficulty sleeping.
- It's a controlled medication and should be locked up to prevent potential abuse.
- Not safe for people with a history of heart problems.
- For school-aged children, a second dose will likely need to be given at school.
Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine) is an amphetamine stimulant. Researchers don't know exactly how it works for ADHD, but it increases the activity of the hormones norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, which affects attention and behavior.
What to expect when you take Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine) for ADHDSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine)
Risks and Warnings for Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
- › Misuse of Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine)
Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine) has been associated with heart attack, stroke, and sudden death. Anyone with a history of heart problems shouldn't take it, and people should be screened for heart problems before starting it. Watch out for unexplained fainting or chest pain that is triggered with physical activity.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Adderall (dextroamphetamine / amphetamine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Don't take it with alcohol or illicit drugs.
- It's magic. But the schedule II controlled substance is a pain. I've also read to avoid acidic foods and drinks an hour around the dose bc it will metabolize quicker and result in less of an effect.
- Don't take it after lunch or with caffeine or you'll be up forever. Can get very dependent on this medication fast!!
- Eat before you take it. Eat snacks periodically even if you don't have an appetite. Don't up your dosage if you stop "feeling the effects" its still working even if you don't feel that. Keep yourself responsible.
- If you cannot fall asleep the night after taking it, absolutely do not take it the next day to help you avoid tiredness.
- Can cause blurry vision, loss of appetite, weight loss, headache, dry mouth, or anxious feelings.