Prevents breathing problems.
Our bottom line
Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol) is good for people who need two medicines to control their asthma or COPD, but it might be expensive since there's no generic available.
- 2-in-1 medicine that lowers inflammation and opens airways in your lungs. Medicines are more effective together than alone.
- Makes lung function significantly better.
- Lowers the number of flare-ups and rescue inhaler uses in asthma and COPD.
- You only have to use it twice a day.
- Both the Diskus and inhaler can be used to treat asthma.
- You have to use Advair every day to control your symptoms.
- You can't lower the dose or stop taking it too suddenly.
- The HFA inhaler isn't approved to treat COPD.
- Can make your heart race.
- Steroids can slow height growth in kids.
- Because steroids suppress your immune system, you can catch bacterial and viral infections easier, and they can take longer to go away.
- There have been some reports of worsening asthma leading to death when taking this medicine.
What to expect when you take Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol) for AsthmaSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Lowers inflammation and opens airways to improve breathing.
- Starts working in about 30 minutes, but it can take 1 to 2 weeks to feel the full effects.
- Prevents asthma symptoms, but doesn't treat sudden wheezing or asthma attacks once they start.
- Use inhaler in a level position, and don't breathe out into the device.
- Rinse your mouth out with water after each use.
- Shake inhaler for 5 seconds before you use it.
- Pump the inhaler 4 times before inhaling the first dose, or if it's been more than a month since your last dose.
- Call 911 or your doctor if it's hard to breathe or you have an asthma attack while on this medication.
- Diskus contains lactose, so don't use it if you're allergic to milk protein.
Side effects for Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol)
From clinical trials of Advair / Asthma (100/50 mcg) ( 267)
- Ear, nose, or throat infectionEar, nose, or throat infection27% for Advair vs.14% for placebo
- Sore throatSore throat13% for Advair vs.6% for placebo
- HeadachesHeadaches12% for Advair vs.7% for placebo
- Upper respiratory inflammationUpper respiratory inflammation7% for Advair vs.5% for placebo
- Hoarseness/dysphoniaHoarseness/dysphonia5% for Advair vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea4% for Advair vs.1% for placebo
- Viral respiratory infectionsViral respiratory infections4% for Advair vs.3% for placebo
- Gastrointestinal discomfort and painGastrointestinal discomfort and pain4% for Advair vs.1% for placebo
- Sinus inflammationSinus inflammation4% for Advair vs.4% for placebo
- Musculoskeletal painMusculoskeletal pain4% for Advair vs.3% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Adverse effect of long-acting beta agonist drugs (LABAs), one of the medications in Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol), a combination drug.
There are reports of worsening asthma leading to death in people taking Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol). It is related to one of the medications in this product. Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol) should only be used if your symptoms have not improved with a fast-acting or controller medication alone. If this happens, call 911 or your doctor right away.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Try to take it 12-14 hours apart twice daily. wipe mouth piece weekly with alcohol wipe to keep clean.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol) may increase blood pressure and heart rate, especially if you already have these conditions. These symptoms are related to one of the medications in this product so don't change or increase your dose without talking to your doctor first. Tell your doctor if you develop dizziness, tremor, nausea, rapid heartbeat, become very tired or have difficulty sleeping while taking Advair Diskus (Fluticasone / Salmeterol), you may need to change or stop this medication.