Prevents blood clots that can cause a stroke.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole) prevents blood clots and stroke, but cheaper options are available that work just as well.
- This helps to prevent strokes for people who had a stroke or TIA (transient ischemic attack) before.
- In clinical studies, Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole) lowered the chance of another stroke for a person with a previous stroke or mini-stroke (TIA) by 36%.
- Works better than either aspirin or dipyridamole alone to prevent strokes.
- Works as well as Plavix (clopidogrel), another antiplatelet medication, to prevent stroke.
- Raises your risk for bleeding and bruising.
- Has to be taken twice a day unlike Plavix that only has to be taken once daily.
- Can be more expensive than other alternatives that are available as a generic.
- Can't be used by people with an aspirin allergy, or a history of stomach ulcers.
Save on your next Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Prices for (1) 60 capsules of 25mg/200mg dose pack of Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole)
- Kroger Pharmacy
Side effects for Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole)
From clinical trials of Aggrenox / Reduce the risk of stroke in people who have had a stroke in the past due to a blood clot ( 3299)
- HeadacheHeadache40% for Aggrenox vs.30% for placebo
- IndigestionIndigestion20% for Aggrenox vs.17% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain20% for Aggrenox vs.14% for placebo
- NauseaNausea20% for Aggrenox vs.14% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea13% for Aggrenox vs.10% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache10% for Aggrenox vs.4% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting8% for Aggrenox vs.7% for placebo
- NauseaNausea6% for Aggrenox vs.3% for placebo
- Joint painJoint pain6% for Aggrenox vs.5% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue6% for Aggrenox vs.5% for placebo
What to expect when you start Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take twice daily.
- Do not crush or chew capsules. Can take with or without food.
- Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole) can cause unexpected bleeding or bruising.
- Don't take if you're allergic to aspirin.
- Headache is a common side effect, but it often goes away after the first week of use.
Risks and Warnings for Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Children 18 years or younger recovering from viral infections
Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole) use is linked to a condition called Reye's syndrome that causes liver and brain swelling. This is rare but very serious. Let your doctor know about any nausea, vomiting, unusually low energy, or changes in behavior.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Do not crush or chew capsules. Can take with or without food.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Do not use Aggrenox (Aspirin / Dipyridamole) if you have severe kidney disease.